The Berlin Radio Tower (Funkturm) was built as one large steel framework construction, similar to the Eiffel Tower in Paris. The 150 m high and approximately 600 metric ton radio tower was originally planned strictly as a transmitting tower, but later additions included a restaurant at a height of approximately 52 m, and observation deck at a height of approximately 125 m. Visitors reach the restaurant and the observation deck by an elevator which travels up to 6 meters per second. The Radio Tower went into operation in 1926 as part of the 3rd Radio Exhibition, thus improving the quality of radio broadcasting that had existed in Berlin since 1923.
During the Berlin Wall era, the “long beanpole” was one of the most prominent symbols of West Berlin. And it still serves as a wonderful vantage point for enjoying an extensive panoramic view of the city. The radio tower was built in 1924 according to plans made by Heinrich Straumer as part of the exhibition grounds in Charlottenburg.
The fair complex is directly connected to the International Congress Center (ICC Berlin). The shimmering, silver ICC, the largest venue of its kind for exhibitions and conferences in all of Europe, was built between 1975 and 1979 by the architects Ralf Schüler and Ursulina Schüler-Witte.
It is a reflection of the architectural design of high-tech modernity, which was popular at the time. Inside the building, which resembles two nested boxes, can be found more than 20,000 places in 80 halls along with the latest modern technical equipment. The programm of conferences and congresses is complemented by pop concerts, balls, parties and other events.
14055 Berlin Charlottenburg